Yesterday, I told you about a new pilot program of fully autonomous robot taxis in Los Angeles.
昨天,我向大家介绍了洛杉矶一项新的全自动机器人出租车试点项目。
And it got us to thinking about the future of this technology.
这让我们开始思考这项技术的未来。
Fully autonomous vehicles do all the driving without any input from humans.
全自动驾驶汽车无需任何人类输入即可完成所有驾驶任务。
They rely on detailed maps, GPS, cameras, radar, and artificial intelligence to navigate their computer-powered journeys.
它们依靠详细的地图、全球定位系统、摄像头、雷达和人工智能来为由计算机驱动的旅程导航。
Manufacturers worldwide are investing in this technology.
世界各地的制造商都在投资这项技术。
It's said to be eco-friendly, and it could offer an affordable mode of transportation for non-car owners.
据说,无人驾驶汽车对环境友好,它可以为无车人士提供一种价格合适的交通方式。
And some believe that computers will be safer drivers than humans.
一些人认为,计算机将成为比人类更安全的司机。
But there are a lot of questions.
但也存在很多问题。
There are concerns about safety and the readiness of this technology.
人们担心这项技术的安全性和成熟度。
There have been court fights, injuries, even deaths caused by self-driving technology.
自动驾驶技术引发过法庭纠纷、造成过人员受伤甚至死亡。
And some privacy advocates are concerned that your every movement and destination can be tracked.
一些隐私权倡导者担心,人类的每次行动和目的地都会被跟踪。
Who gets access to this information?
谁有权访问这一信息呢?
It does seem, though, that the world is moving closer and closer to fully autonomous vehicles becoming mainstream.
尽管如此,世界似乎离全自动驾驶汽车越来越近,让其成为主流。
Some wonder if humans will even be driving vehicles at all in the future.
一些人甚至想知道未来人类是否还会驾驶汽车。
So for today's show, we're going to take a look at what a completely driverless world in the future could look like.
在今天的节目中,我们将看看未来无人驾驶的世界会是什么样子。
Americans love their cars.
美国人爱车。
Getting my first car was one of the happiest days of my life, and I've loved driving ever since, especially fast cars.
得到我的第一辆车是我一生中最快乐的日子之一,从那以后,我就爱上了开车,特别是快车。
Yeah, that's not actually my car.
对,那其实不是我的车。
But hey, look.
但是,嘿,听着。
This is my story, and I can dream if I want to.
这是我的故事,如果我想的话,还可以做做梦。
But what if I'm part of the last generation to get excited about driving a car?
但,如果我是最后一代对开车感到兴奋的人怎么办?
I've spent the past traveling the country, talking to entrepreneurs, engineers, and test drivers who are building the cars of tomorrow.
我过去一直在全国各地转,与正在制造未来汽车的企业家、工程师和试车手进行了交谈。
And when they imagine the future, driving a car isn't part of it.
当他们想象未来时,开车并不是未来构想的一部分。
They envision roads full of cars driven by machines, where traffic jams are no more, where the death rate by car accidents drops to zero-- the end of car ownership as we know it, even to the point of human driving one day becoming illegal.
他们设想道路上满是由机器驾驶的汽车,路上不再有交通堵塞,车祸死亡率降至零——我们所知的汽车所有权的终结,甚至有一天人类驾驶会变为非法。
I asked them all the same thing.
我问了他们同样的问题。
What will the future look like, and what will it take to get there?
未来会是什么样子,需要采取什么措施才能实现?
What I found was really exciting but also a bit shocking.
我的发现非常令人兴奋,但也有点令人震惊。
OK, so as soon as I turn out of this parking lot, I'm going to engage in self-driving mode.
好,所以我一出这个停车场,就会进入自动驾驶模式。
'Cause technically, we don't need a driver in the car.
因为严格来说,车里不需要司机。
So you and I are basically, in a way, just passengers now.
所以,在某种程度上,你和我现在基本上只是乘客。
Yes.
是的。
We're test driving a car powered by autonomous vehicle startup Drive AI on the streets of Northern California.
我们正在北加州的街道上测试驾驶一辆由自动驾驶初创公司Drive AI驱动的汽车。
It's one of several companies working to utterly transform how we live.
它是致力于彻底改变我们的生活方式的几家公司之一。
This test car could be the prototype of an automobile that not only takes you out of the driver's seat, but creates a future where you might not need to own a car at all, at least that's what the people building them think.
未来的汽车不仅允许车内人员离开驾驶座,还会创造一个根本不需要买车的未来,至少制造汽车的人是这么想的,而这款测试车只是这辆汽车的原型样车。